Instant Pot Chicken Mole
The original recipe instructs you to leave the red pepper out in step 9. Instead, when the pressure cooking is done, you remove the chicken and shred it. While doing that, you cook the pepper in the sauce for 10-15 minutes and then add the chicken back in. My way is quicker and easier and I’ve found that the chicken shreds a bit on its own as it’s served. Also keep in mind that if you use bone-in chicken, you should increase pressure cooking time to 25 minutes
- 3 3 3 tablespoons vegetable oil.
- 2 2 2 tablespoons chili powder.
- 2 2 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa.
- 3 3 3 garlic cloves, minced.
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 14.5-ounce 1 14.5-ounce 3 can diced tomatoes. I used 3 medium, very ripe fresh tomatoes from my garden.
- 1 1 1 cup raisins.
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup peanut butter.
- 3 to 4 3 to 4 4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, with fat trimmed off. The original recipe calls for 4 pounds bone-in thighs.
- Salt and pepper.
- 1 1 1/2 onion, halved and sliced in 1/2 inch thick pieces. I used a red onion from my garden.
- 1 1 1/2 to bell pepper, stem and seeds removed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces. In general, I don’t like peppers, but I’m trying very hard to like them so I included them.
- 1/4 1/4 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped.
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 70mins
Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to Instant Pot and press Sauté to start heating.
When oil is shimmering, add chili powder, cocoa, garlic, chipotle, cinnamon, and cloves. Cook about 30 seconds. (It will smell really good.)
Stir in broth, tomatoes, raisins, and peanut butter. Be sure to scrape any bits of the dry ingredients off the bottom of the pan. (I have a silicone spoon I use for this and it does a great job without damaging any of my cookware.)
Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
Remove the sauce from the pot and puree it in a blender. (I use an immersion blender, which does a great job.) Set it aside.
Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the pot.
Add the onions and sauté until softened, about five minutes.
Stir in sauce, chicken, and peppers.
Cover and lock pot; close steam vent.
On the Instant Pot, press Off and then press Manual and set the time to 20 minutes.
When the timer beeps, press Off. Do a quick pressure release and then carefully remove the lid.
Stir in cilantro and serve.
You'll also love
- Red Pozole with Chicken (Pozole... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Maple-Bacon Chicken Wings 4.1/5 (12 Votes)
- Pulled Chicken Chili 4.1/5 (11 Votes)
- Peanut-Lime Chicken Lunch Bowls 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Coconut-Lime Chicken Stew with Rice 3.9/5 (10 Votes)
- Air Fryer Five Spice Cream Cheese... 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Deep Fried Chicken 3.9/5 (22 Votes)
- Turnips in an Instant Pot 3.5/5 (101 Votes)