Sausage & Penne Soup
This soup is 'lick the bowl' good! Recipe features Italian sausage, onions, garlic, spinach and penne pasta topped with melted Swiss and Provel cheese. Enough said!
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 6 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoon whiskey
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 (15.5-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup uncooked penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 cup Provel cheese, shredded
Adapted from smalltownwoman.com
Brown sausage in large saucepan. Add onion and cook until soft; approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook additional 1 minute. Add spinach and cook until wilted; approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Drain any excess grease. Add whiskey and using spoon remove brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add chicken broth and simmer 20 to 30 minutes.
Add beans, oregano, basil, parsley and water. Bring to a low boil. Add penne pasta and cook for about 15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Turn soup to low.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Combine melted butter with flour creating smooth paste (also known as a roux). Add slowly to the soup and stir. Continue cooking on low until slightly thickened.
Divide soup between 4 ovenproof bowls. Top with slice of Swiss cheese and 1/4 cup Provel. Bake on cookie sheet for 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese is melted. Turn oven to broil and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (702 Votes)
- Buffalo Ranch Alfredo Pasta 4.5/5 (687 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (673 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)