Lentil soup is an easy meal to make and their meaty texture will leave one feeling quite satiated.
- 1 1/4 cups green lentils, rinsed
- good splash of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 to 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, chopped (keep juice)
- Parmesan rind
- 1 to 2 cups water
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- lime wedge
- handful Italian parsley, chopped
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil and add the chopped onions, celery, and carrots. When onions are soft, add garlic and cumin. Stir and cook until garlic becomes aromatic then add tomatoes with its juice and lentils. Stir to combine. Add Parmesan rind and water. Increase heat and bring the mixture to a boil; cover the pot and reduce heat to a simmer.
Cook 30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Remove Parmesan rind. Add spinach and allow to wilt. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Squeeze lime wedge over soup and stir. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley.
The Culinary Chase’s Note: The Parmesan rind adds a bit of depth to the soup and infuses some of the Parmesan flavor. Make sure to stir the rind during the cooking process or it’ll end up sticking to the bottom of the pot. Enjoy!
You'll also love
- Creamy Artichoke, Crab & Brie Dip 4.2/5 (10 Votes)
- One Pot Mushroom Rice 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Black bean and corn salsa 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Grilled Flank Steak with Black... 4/5 (10 Votes)
- Sausage and lentil casserole 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Coconut Curry Lentil Soup with... 4.2/5 (10 Votes)
- Pork and Lentil Soup 3.9/5 (29 Votes)