Chopped chicken breasts are fried in and then smothered using a delicious orange sauce made with orange juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, and red pepper. Serve with white rice and your favorite steamed veggies for a complete and delicious meal. Yum!
- Vegetable or peanut oil for frying
- 4 whole egg whites
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 whole chicken thighs, boneless, skinless and cut Into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed or white sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or regular distilled vinegar)
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- dash of salt
- dash of crushed red pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 whole green onions, sliced, plus more to garnish
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
In a large bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and egg whites with a fork until almost frothy, about 1 minute. Add the chicken to the mixture and allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, put the orange juice, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, salt, crushed red pepper, garlic, ginger, and orange zest in a small nonstick skillet and whisk together. Heat until bubbling and starting to thicken, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Whisk together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch slurry to the sauce. Mix in and thicken for 1 minute. If sauce gets overly thick, just add in another 1/4 cup water and whisk in.
Heat about 2-inches of vegetable oil in a heavy-bottomed pot until a deep-fry thermometer inserted in the oil registers 350°F.
In batches, carefully drop a few pieces of chicken into the oil (drop them in one by one to keep them from sticking together) and move them around, and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until light golden. Let the pieces drain on a plate lined with paper towels for 2 to 3 minutes. Then drop them back into the oil for 1 minute to really solidify the coating.
Toss the chicken in the sauce and serve immediately with orange zest and sliced green onions on the top.
You'll also love
- Cajun Cafe's Bourbon Chicken (From... 4.6/5 (33 Votes)
- Asian Chicken Thighs Recipe 4.4/5 (38 Votes)
- Cauliflower Parmesan Cheese Crust... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- White Chicken Enchiladas 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Chicken Fajita Pasta 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Honey-Orange Syrup 4.1/5 (16 Votes)
- Pineapple Orange Sunshine Cake 4.1/5 (45 Votes)
- Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken 4.4/5 (16 Votes)