White Chicken Enchiladas
Flour tortillas filled with cooked chicken and Monterey Jack cheese are covered with a homemade white sauce with sour cream and green chilies then baked.
- 8 fajita size flour tortillas (I used Azteca refrigerated kind)
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded (I used a whole Traditional rotisserie)
- 1 (8 oz) block Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons salted butter or margarine (I used margarine)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (I used 1 (14.5 oz) can plus 1/4 cup water)
- 8 ounces (1 cup) sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly spray a 13x9" baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter; whisk in the flour and cook 1 minute. Whisk in the broth until smooth and cook until bubbly and thickened. Remove from heat and let stand about 3 minutes (so the sour cream doesn't curdle) then whisk in sour cream, green chilies, salt, and pepper. Cover the pot and set back on the warm burner to keep warm until needed.
In a bowl, mix together chicken and 1 cup of the cheese. Roll mixture up in flour tortillas and place seam side down in baking pan.
Pour white sauce over the enchiladas. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
Bake about 25 minutes, until bubbly around edges; then on high broil for 2-3 minutes to lightly brown the cheese.
Mexican Blend cheese may be substituted for the Monterery Jack, if desired.
You'll also love
- Open-Face Vietnamese Chicken... 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Seasoned Beer Can Chicken 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Mexican Bow-Tie Pasta with Chicken 4.3/5 (25 Votes)
- Chocolate Banana Cream Cake 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Praline Ice Cream Cake 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Chicken Enchilada Skillet 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Southwest Eggrolls 4/5 (58 Votes)
- Chicken Stuffed Shells 4.1/5 (33 Votes)