Chili Lime Sweet Potato and Chicken Skillet
June 9, 2015
A simple, easy and healthy dinner that cooks up all in one pan! Sweet potatoes, chicken, black beans and bell peppers are flavored with chili-powder and lime.
Nutritional Information: for one of six servings; excludes garnishes
Calories 377 // Fat 9 g // Saturated Fat 2 g // Cholesterol 63 mg // Sodium 434 mg // Carbohydrate 42 g // Fiber 11 g // Sugars 9 g // Protein 33 g
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- olive oil (2 or so tablespoons)
- salt and pepper
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1-cm (1/2 inch) cubes (approx 4 cups)
- 2 bell peppers, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 red onion, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 1 can black beans, drained (540mL/18 oz)
- cilantro leaves (garnish)
- lime wedges/wheels (garnish)
- greek yogurt (to serve)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from sweetpeasandsaffron.com
In a large skillet or pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, and brown (approximately 6 minutes). Don't worry about cooking it right through.
Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a plate.
Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Add the sweet potato, and cook for 10-12 minutes, until browned. I found it browned better when I didn't stir it too frequently, only every 2-3 minutes.
Add the bell peppers, red onion, chili powder, cumin, salt and chicken stock. Return the chicken to the pan. Stir so that everything is well combined.
Cover and cook for another 10 or so minutes, stirring once or twice. Chicken and sweet potato should be cooked through.
Add the black beans and lime zest, and cook until heated through.
Taste for salt, and add more if needed.
Serve immediately with lime wedges and a dollop of Greek yogurt.
You'll also love
- Kale-and-Chorizo Soup 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Slow-Roasted Turkey 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Tomato Rosemary Jam 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Frozen Lemon Pie 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pigs and Potatoes 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Pumpkin Soup With Ancho and Apple 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Sweet Potato and Chorizo Sausage... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)