Sweet Potato Vichyssoise with Ginger-Kissed Pumpkin Seeds
This soup gets its velvety texture from beans instead of dairy. Fall, comfort food, hearty, soup, sweet potato, vegetarian, winter.
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Ginger, powder
- 3 Leeks
- 1 Lemon, juice of
- 4 Sweet potatoes, medium
- 1 cup White beans, cooked
- 6 cups Vegetable broth
- 1/2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 Cayenne
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 2 TBS Coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp Olive oil
- Nuts & Seeds
- 1/2 cup Pumpkin seeds
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from designlovefest.com
Prepare leeks by removing the very tip of the root, and the tough, dark green parts at the very top. Chop leeks, then swirl them around in a large bowl of water to remove any dirt.
• In a large stock pot, heat coconut oil or butter, add turmeric, cayenne and leeks with a teaspoon of sea salt. Stir to coat and let cook on medium heat for five minutes or so, until leeks have softened. Mince garlic and add to the pot.
• Scrub the sweet potatoes, and chop them into rough cubes (leave the skin on). Add them to the pot, stir and cook for a few minutes. Add broth and beans. Bring a boil, reduce to simmer and cook until sweet potatoes are soft, about 15 – 20 minutes.
• Using a regular blender or stick blender puree the soup until totally creamy. Add olive oil and lemon juice, plus salt to taste if necessary, blend once more and serve with Ginger-Kissed Pumpkin Seeds.
• Preheat oven to 300°F / 150°C.
• Toss pumpkin seeds with other ingredients. Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes until toasty and fragrant. Remove and let cool. Store leftovers in an airtight container.