Sweet Potato Corn Bread (Cooks Country)
- Microwaving the sweet potatoes speeds up the cooking process and intensifies the sweetness of the potatoes. A combination of cornmeal and flour keeps the cornbread light, and brown sugar complements the caramel notes of the sweet potatoes.
- SERVES 10 TO 12
- You can make this cornbread in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet or in an ovensafe nonstick skillet. Light or dark brown sugar works equally well in this recipe. Note that the cornbread needs to cool for 1 hour before being removed from the pan.
- 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 ounces) yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (2 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed (1 3/4 ounces) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Prick potatoes all over with fork. Microwave on large plate until potatoes are very soft and surfaces are slightly wet, 10 to 15 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes. Immediately slice potatoes in half to release steam.
2. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop flesh into bowl and mash until smooth (you should have about 1 3/4 cups); discard skins. Whisk in milk, melted butter, and eggs. Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in separate large bowl. Stir sweet potato mixture into cornmeal mixture until combined.
3. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in 10-inch ovensafe nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until bubbling, about 3 minutes. Swirl butter to coat bottom and sides. Pour batter into hot skillet and smooth top with rubber spatula. Bake until cornbread is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cornbread cool in skillet on wire rack for 1 hour. Loosen edges of cornbread from skillet with spatula and slide out onto cutting board. Cut into wedges and serve.
You'll also love
- ST. LOUIS PASTA HOUSE SALAD 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Black Bean and Avocado... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grape Molasses Cookies... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bacon Cheese Onion Buds 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Kale or Spigarello Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Popcorn Nacho Cheese Doritos 0/5 (0 Votes)
- CORNSTARCH PIE FILLING 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Salmon with Crispy... 0/5 (0 Votes)