Max & Erma's Potato, Cheese and Bacon Soup
- 4 ounces bacon, cut in 1/4" pieces
- 1 small yellow onion, cut in 1/4" dice
- 1-1/2 ribs celery, cut in 1/4" dice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups peeled, 1/2-inch potato cubes (about
- 2 medium baking potatoes)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt, optional
- 1/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Place a heavy stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add diced
bacon. Cook, stirring frequently, until bacon is brown, 5 to 7 minutes.
Immediately add onions and celery and saute until soft and tender, about 5
Reduce heat to low and add flour to vegetables. Cook over low heat for 5
minutes to cook out the raw flour taste.
Add chicken broth and potato cubes. Increase heat to medium-high and bring
to a boil.
Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are
Add half-and-half, ground white and black pepper and salt and simmer for 5
Stir in grated cheese until thoroughly melted. Taste and adjust seasonings.