Braised Coconut Spinach & Chickpeas with Lemon
- 2 teaspoons oil or ghee
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger, from a 3-inch piece
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced (about 2 tablespoons juice)
- 1 dried hot red pepper or dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound baby spinach
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt to taste
- Sweet potatoes, pasta, rice, quinoa to serve over.
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
1. Heat the oil or ghee in a large, deep Dutch oven, heavy pot or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is beginning to brown. Add the garlic, ginger, sun-dried tomatoes, lemon zest, and red pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Add the chickpeas and cook over high heat for a few minutes, or until the chickpeas are beginning to turn golden and they are coated with the onion and garlic mixture.
3. Toss in the spinach, one handful at a time. This will take about 5 minutes; stir in a handful or two and wait for it to wilt down and make room in the pot before adding the next handful. When all the spinach has been added, pour in the coconut milk, salt, ground ginger, and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, then turn down the heat and cook for 10 minutes, or until the chickpeas are warmed through. Taste and add more salt and lemon juice, if necessary.
4. Serve hot over roasted sweet potatoes, with cilantro leaves and toasted unsweetened coconut to garnish.
You'll also love
- Pork Tenderloin - Twice Cooked 4/5 (9 Votes)
- Cornbread & Jalapeño Meatloaf 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- 25-Minute Skillet Chicken w/... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- APPLE AND AVOCADO SALSA WITH... 4/5 (3 Votes)
- CHARLIE'S CRAB SIZZLER SPINACH 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Meatballs with a Strawberry... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- SPINACH-STUFFED PURPLE POTATOES 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Turmeric And Coconut Milk Bedtime... 4.2/5 (13 Votes)