Zucchini Fritters with Herb-Garlic Aioli
- For the Gluten Free Zucchini Fritters:
- 1-1/4 pounds zucchini squash, grated (2 medium)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup blanched almond meal
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil for cooking
- For the Herb-Garlic Aioli
- 1/2 cup Hampton Creek Garlic Mayo
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from theroastedroot.net
Prepare the Gluten Free Zucchini Fritters
Rinse, trim, and grate the zucchini using a box grater.
Place the shreds in a colander and sprinkle salt over the shreds.
Place the colander over the sink and allow zucchini to drain for 1 hour in order to remove any water.
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the almond meal, flax seed, all-purpose flour, and parmesan cheese.
Add the shredded zucchini to a different bowl and whisk in the lightly-beaten egg. Pour the dry flour mixture into the bowl with the zucchini and stir to combine. Allow fritter mixture to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of grapeseed oil (or high-temp oil of choice) over medium heat in a cast iron skillet (or medium-high in a regular skillet), enough to generously coat the surface.
Using your hands, form patties that are roughly ¼ cup each. Gently place them on the hot cast iron and allow them to cook until the sides begin to firm up, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip to the other side and cook an additional 3 minutes, or until fritters are cooked through.
Prepare the Herb-Garlic Aioli:
Combine all ingredients for the aioli in a small bowl and stir together well. Add salt or additional lemon juice to taste.
Serve the fritters fresh from the skillet with herb-garlic aioli.