Citrus Mashed Plantains
Plaintains are members of the banana family, but they are starchier. Unlike bananas, they can't be eating raw. They are delicious baked, fried or-- in this case-- boiled and then mashed. They have a light orange color. This recipe adds a little lime zest and butter. We served this as a side dish to Jamaican Jerk chicken. It's a nice change from making mashed potatoes and a lot healthier!
- 1 large plantain
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 20mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
Add the plantain to a pot of boiling water and cook 9 to 11 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
Note: I steam mine in my pressure cooker for 4 minutes, then do a quick pressure release.
Drain thoroughly and return to the pot.
Off the heat, stir in the butter and lime zest; season with salt and pepper. Using a fork, mash the mixture to your desired consistency; season with salt and pepper to taste
You'll also love
- Paleo Chinese Eggplant 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- California Lettuce Wrap - South... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Grilled Turkey Breast with... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Apple Cobbler Steel Cut Oats 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Pork and Rice Meatball Soup 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Chia-Crusted Oven-Roasted Tuna... 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Roasted Yam & Kale Salad 4/5 (6 Votes)