Turkey Sausage with Fennel Sauerkraut & Potatoes
Inspired by the Alsatian classic choucroute garni, this comforting, one-pot meal takes a shortcut with bagged shredded cabbage. Serve topped with additional brown mustard, if you like.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage links
- 3/4 cup 1/2-inch diced red potatoes
- 2 cups packaged shredded cabbage, preferably “angel hair” style (see Tips for Two)
- 1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon chopped feathery tops
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown or whole-grain mustard
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 35mins
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, turning often, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a cutting board and slice into 1/2-inch pieces. (The sausage will not be thoroughly cooked, but it will continue cooking later.)
Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add cabbage, sliced fennel, onion, garlic powder, fennel seed and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the cabbage has wilted slightly, about 3 minutes more.
Add broth, vinegar and mustard. Stir to incorporate the mustard; bring to a simmer. Place the sausage on top of the cabbage mixture; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the sausage is cooked through and the vegetables are tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in chopped fennel fronds and serve.
TIPS & NOTES
Tips for Two: Refrigerate leftover cabbage for up to 1 week. Add to salads or soup; Vinegary Coleslaw or Warm Apple-Cabbage Slaw.
You'll also love
- Mahi Mahi with Zesty Basil-Butter 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Tomato Zucchini Noodles with... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Bone-In Pork Chops with... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Nacho Chicken Drumsticks 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Potato Gnocchi with Wild Mushroom... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Savory Pudding with Sausage and... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Ground Turkey Ragu with Tagliatelle 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Meatballs With Fennel and Polenta 4.8/5 (4 Votes)