Moroccan Chicken Tagine with Olives and Preserved Lemons
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch saffron
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 whole chicken (cut into 8 pieces, or chicken thighs or breasts)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
- 1/2 cup water (or chicken stock)
- 1 preserved lemon (pith removed, and peel rinsed and sliced)
- 1 cup olives
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
1. Mix the paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, saffron, salt and pepper and rub it into the chicken.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat add the chicken and brown on all sides and set aside.
3. Add the onion, and saute for 3 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
5. Add the water, chicken, preserved lemon, olives, harissa and honey, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and mix in the parsley and cilantro.
Slow Cooker: Optionally implement steps 1-4, place everything except the parsley and cilantro in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-10 hours or high for 2-4 hours before adding the parsley and cilantro and turning off the heat.
Note: You will probably want to go easy on the salt as the lemons are preserved in a lot of salt and the olives are pretty salty as well.