Boston Cream Whiskey Banana Pie
Nice creamy, light, subtly sweet custard pie/cake swimming in chocolate.
- One yellow boxed cake mix
- (Note: Prepare according to directions adding 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup crème fraiche to batter.)
- FILLING: (This recipe is Melissa’s from ChinDeep!)
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cup cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tbl + 1 tsp flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup whiskey (optional to omit or substitute 2 tsp. almond extract + 3 Tbl. apple juice)
- 2 large firm bananas
- (Note: You can omit the bananas if you wish, but it makes it more yummy!)
- 1 1/4 cup excellent quality chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli 60% cocoa chocolate chips)
- 3/4 cup cream
Adapted from allyskitchen.com
(Note: You can make the filling hours in advance of making the cake because the cream filling needs to chill in the refrig for several hours prior to using in the cake.)
Prepare cake mix to instructions. Add ½ cup sour cream and ½ cup crème fraiche to batter. Whip batter with hand mixer until fluffy. Coat sides (and lightly on bottom) of three 9” cake pans with cooking spray. Line the cake pans with parchment paper (cutting circles to fit). Pour equal amounts of batter into each of the three. Bake in preheated 375 oven until done and golden brown. Remove and place on cooling rack.
In a small bowl, place blended egg yolks and whisk in flour, sugar and vanilla. Set aside.
In medium saucepan over medium it heat, pour milk and cream. Whisk consistently as you bring it to boil. Remove from heat. Slowly pour in, while constantly whisking, the egg mixture. Return to medium low heat and whisk about 3 minutes then add whiskey and continue to whisk consistently for another 9-12 minutes as the custard thickens. Remove, pour into a glass dish, and cover with plastic wrap (patting the wrap on the filling). Place in refrigerator for a few hours before using.
Make a double-boiler with a pot of water and a glass bowl over it. Over medium heat. Put chocolate chips in bowl and add heavy cream. Stir and blend as chips melt. (Add a little more cream if needed if ganache is too thick.) Consistency of ganache should be like a sauce.
Steps for pie construction:
On first layer of cake, spread half of the filling smoothing around to within ½ inch of the perimeter. Slice bananas on top. Add second layer. Place remaining filling (leaving ½ inch around perimeter because the filling will squooosh out…is that a word? My spell check says ‘no’ but I like it, so it stays J!) Add top layer of the cake. Cover top with somewhat cooled ganache and allow it to run down the sides in a very natural ‘organic’ nature.
You'll also love
- Old-Fashioned Banana Cream Pie -... 4.5/5 (29 Votes)
- Simple Cake with Sobieski Black... 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Adult Apple Cider 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Sugar Free Banana and Ginger Jam 4.2/5 (10 Votes)
- Old Fashioned Banana Cream Pie 3.7/5 (25 Votes)
Review this recipe