Lemon-Poppy Seed Waffles With Blueberry Sauce
- BLUBERRY SAUCE:
- 1 pound frozen blueberries thawed, undrained
- 1/2 cup apple juice plus
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- LEMON-POPPY SEED WAFFLES:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter - (1/2 stick) melted
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
For Blueberry Sauce: Bring blueberries, 1/2 cup apple juice and sugar to boil in heavy medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until reduced to 2 cups, about 15 minutes. Dissolve 1 tablespoon cornstarch in remaining 2 tablespoons apple juice and add to blueberry mixture. Add lemon juice. Bring to boil, stirring constantly; simmer until thick, about 1 minute. Cool slightly. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat before serving.)
For Lemon-Poppy Seed Waffles: Whisk first 6 ingredients in large bowl to blend. Whisk eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and lemon peel in small bowl to blend. Add buttermilk mixture all at once to flour mixture and whisk until just blended. Let mixture stand 15 minutes.
Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturers instructions. Spoon batter onto waffle iron. Cover and cook until golden and cooked through, about 7 minutes (cooking time will vary, depending on waffle iron). Repeat with remaining batter. Serve immediately with warm blueberry sauce.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
These light waffles would also be good with maple syrup, if you prefer.
You'll also love
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (760 Votes)
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.5/5 (220 Votes)
- Cilantro Lime Salad Dressing 4.5/5 (170 Votes)
- Mediterranean Lemon Chicken 4.4/5 (172 Votes)
- Lemon Ginger Avo Mayo 4.5/5 (154 Votes)
- Apricot Bread Pudding With Caramel... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Dried Cranberry Compote 0/5 (0 Votes)