Old Fisherman’s Grotto Monterey Clam Chowder
This delicious Clam Chowder is a classic thick, creamy crowd favorite!
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 potato, diced
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 1/2 pound minced bacon
- 1 stick of butter
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 quart (2 cups) clam juice
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 pound chopped clams (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 1/2 teaspoon clam base (optional)
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from tastebook.com
Place vegetables, bacon and butter in a 5 qt sauce pot. Saute over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Be careful not to brown or scorch.
When vegetables are tender, add flour to make a roux. Cook for two minutes, allowing flour to cook while stirring occasionally.
Add clam juice and dairy products. Stir by using a wire whisk.
Add fresh garlic, black pepper, chopped clams and clam base. Cook over low-medium heat stirring occasionally to prevent chowder from scorching. Cook for two hours or until chowder is brought to desired thickness.
Notes: Use a crockpot if available. Also, clam juice can be added to thin chowder down if it gets too thick.
Source: Old Fisherman’s Grotto
You'll also love
- Garlic Oven Fries 4.5/5 (84 Votes)
- Sausage Wreath 4.6/5 (77 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken Cups 4.4/5 (98 Votes)
- Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll Cake-Five... 4.2/5 (113 Votes)
- Spinach Feta Crescent Rolls 4.2/5 (116 Votes)
- Yummy Cheese Soup 4.5/5 (87 Votes)
- Edamame Succotash with Shrimp 4.6/5 (79 Votes)
- Shrimp and Grits 4.6/5 (80 Votes)