Smoky Tomato Almond Pasta Sauce
Homemade pasta sauce that has a tomato base, with a hint of smokey flavor from the paprika and thickened with almond meal is perfect to top any freshly cooked pasta.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 roasted red pepper, homemade or store bought, chopped
- 1/2 cup ground almonds, almond meal
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10-ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from happyheartedkitchen.com
Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in onions and garlic and sauté until soft. Add roasted red pepper, ground almonds, parsley, paprika, chili and salt and stir to combine – the mixture will look like a paste.
Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the almonds are fragrant and toasty, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Add mixture to a blender with tomatoes and blend until smooth, adding a drizzle of olive oil if needed.
Return the now smooth sauce to a sauce pan and simmer until pasta is ready, taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Cook pasta following package instructions. Add a bit of the starchy pasta water to thin out the sauce towards the end of cooking – if needed.
Serve with a little extra fresh parsley, ground almonds and a drizzle of olive oil.
You'll also love
- Loaded Pasta Salad 4.7/5 (20 Votes)
- Swedish Meatball Noodle Soup 4.8/5 (16 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip 4.5/5 (36 Votes)
- Strawberry Cookies with White... 4.5/5 (36 Votes)
- Lemon-Garlic Cream Fettuccine... 4.7/5 (20 Votes)
- Skillet Cornbread 4.8/5 (16 Votes)
- Cucumber, green pepper & tomato... 4.4/5 (38 Votes)
- Chili Sauce for Hot Dogs, Fries... 4.4/5 (47 Votes)