Black Bean Soup with a Hint of Orange
This soup is adapted from a book called Sunday Soup by Betty Rosbottom. To see more of my recipes and photos, go to www.tammydishesit.com
- OPTIONAL INGREDIENT:
- 1 pound dried black beans
- 2 Tbsp oilive oil
- 2 c chopped onion
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- Dash red pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 7 c chicken stock
- 1 c freshly squeezed orange juice, 2-3 large oranges
- 1/3 c sour cream
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 8-oz Spanish chorizo sausage, chopped
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 140mins
Rinse and sort beans. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and soak beans for 1 hour. Drain water from beans. If making the meat version, heat oil in a large stock pot and sauté chorizo. If making vegetarian version, omit chorizo.
Add in onions, and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add oregano, red pepper and salt and sauté 1 minutes more. Add 7 cups of stock and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Cook soup until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
If soup seems watery, you can remove some and purée in a blender, or use an immersion blender to make soup a little more creamy. It also makes the color richer. Don’t purée all the beans, though.
Add orange juice and blend in. Salt to taste.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkling or zest. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
20 min prep
You'll also love
- White Bean and Ham Soup (Heidi's... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- OVEN BAKED SUN FISH 3.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Lingonberry Mojito 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Chocolate Strawberry Shortcake 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Jay's Deep Fried Turkey with... 3.9/5 (77 Votes)
- Vegan Chickpea Mushroom Burgers... 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Bread Pudding with... 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Orange and Pork Turnovers 4.3/5 (14 Votes)