Boxty, Irish Potato Pancakes, with Bangers in a Guinness Mushroom and Onion Gravy
Traditional Irish bangers and mash with a delicious Guinness mushroom and onion gravy make a delicious and hearty topping for classic Irish boxty for a hearty meal that's sure to satisfy. For even more deliciousness, add 1/2 cup of shredded white cheddar or some chopped herbs to the pancakes and top it all with a fried egg! Yum!
- BANGERS, MASH, AND GRAVY:
- 1-pound linked sausage of your choice or Irish or English bangers if you can get them
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle Guinness or 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup potato, grated
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk or buttermilk
- salt and pepper to taste
- butter or oil for frying
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from closetcooking.com
BANGERS, MASH, AND GRAVY:
Heat the oil in a pan over medium high heat. Add the sausage and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 4 minutes per side, and set them aside, slicing them as desired.
Add the onions and mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and sauté until fragrant, about a minute.
Add the Guinness, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar along with the sausage and simmer for 10 minutes.
Mix the grated potatoes, mashed potatoes, flour, and enough milk to make a nice thick pancake like batter.
Heat the butter in a pan over medium heat, add the batter and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes per side.
You can also add 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar to the pancakes if you'd like.
: Add chopped herbs to the pancakes!
:Top with fried egg
You'll also love
- Scalloped Potatoes Recipe (Taste... 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Sopa De Pollo (Chicken Soup) 4.3/5 (14 Votes)
- Banana Split Cake***** 4.4/5 (40 Votes)
- Cast Iron Skillet Cornbread 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Broiled Pork Tenderloin 3.7/5 (69 Votes)
- Turkey & Beef Meatloaf with... 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Sweet Potato-Apple Latkes 4/5 (12 Votes)
- Turkey Brine 4.3/5 (10 Votes)