The shiitake mushroom and creamy, milky, cheesy base of the quiche are companionable with Chardonnay-based wines that are rich yet mildly acidicbut try something less common. Viognier is a white wine variety of the northern Rhône area of France that is fruity and aromatic and takes well to barrel fermentation. Try Bonterra Vineyards Organically Grown Mendocino County Viognier.
- 1 pound leeks, roots and ends trimmed (about 6 small leeks)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 partly thawed 9-inch deep-dish pie shell
- 1/4 pound mixed wild mushrooms (such as oyster and shiitake)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated and lightly packed
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 90mins
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Rinse leeks well and drain. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Using fingers, push slices into rings. Set aside.
Heat large skillet over medium heat and, when warm, add olive oil. Reduce heat to medium-low, add leeks and cook for about 5 minutes, or until leeks begin to soften and glisten. Remove from heat and set aside.
Using fork, prick pie crust all over and prebake about 20 minutes, or until brown.
Meanwhile, thinly slice mushroom caps and chop stems. Reheat leeks and add mushrooms, cooking over medium-low for about 15 minutes, or until very soft and fragrant.
Remove pie crust from oven and pour leek-mushroom mixture into crust. Beat together eggs, milk, salt and pepper, and pour over vegetables.
Sprinkle grated cheese over top and bake until set and flecked with brown spots, about 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
Per Serving: 270 Cal; 9g Prot; 16g Total Fat (5 Sat. Fat); 22g Carb.; 120mg Chol; 320mg Sod.; 0g Fiber.
You'll also love
- Tomato, Fennel And Potato Stew 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Potatoes Scones 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Bisque With Shiitake... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mushroom Chili Stew 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Butternut Squash With Whole Wheat,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Corn Bread Dressing With Oysters... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sufganiyot, Jam-Filled Doughnuts 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Rice & Zucchini Quiche 0/5 (0 Votes)