Zucchini & Corn Tortitas with Tomatillo-Cilantro Sauce
- 1 large zucchini (8 ounces)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano or dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cooked fresh or frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Tomatillo-Cilantro Sauce (recipe under directions) or 2 cups purchased tomatillo salsa
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Coarsely shred zucchini (you should have about 1 cup shredded zucchini); drain on several layers of paper towels, patting dry with paper towels.
In a large bowl, stir together eggs, cheese, flour, green onions, cumin seeds, oregano, and salt. Stir in zucchini and corn.
In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Drop rounded tablespoons of the zucchini mixture into hot oil; cook for 4 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remaining zucchini mixture, adding oil as needed.
Serve with Tomatillo-Cilantro Sauce.
TOMATILLO-CILANTRO SAUCE: Preheat broiler. Place 8 husked tomatillos and 2 fresh poblano chile peppers, halved and seeded on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Broil tomatillos and chiles 4 inches from the heat for about 8 minutes or until charred and blistered, turning once halfway through broiling time.
Transfer tomatillos to a food processor or blender.
Wrap peppers in foil for 10 minutes to cool; peel off and discard skins. Add peppers to food processor or blender. Cover and process or blend until smooth.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add 4 cloves garlic, minced; cook for 30 seconds or until golden brown.
Add the tomatillo mixture. Simmer.uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1/2 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes more. Cool slightly. Stir in 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro. Season to taste with salt and cracked black pepper. If flavor is too sour, add a pinch or two of sugar to taste. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You'll also love
- Beef Skirt Steak Pinwheels 4.5/5 (77 Votes)
- Zucchini Parmesan Crisps 4.5/5 (77 Votes)
- Citrus Almond Champagne Cake 4.5/5 (78 Votes)
- Potato and Corn Soup - Instant Pot 4.5/5 (79 Votes)
- Starbucks Pumpkin Spice... 3.9/5 (147 Votes)
- Turkey Zucchini Meatballs 4.5/5 (72 Votes)
- Grilled Corn with Herb Butter 4.5/5 (69 Votes)