Shrimp Kabobs with Tomatillo-Avocado Salsa
Note the manner in which I thread the shrimp on the skewers. This will keep the flat on the grill and easy to turn.
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 quart cool water
- 24 large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoon dry white wine
- 4 oz fresh tomatillos, husked, washed, and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon serrano chile, seeded and coarsely chopped, or to taste
- 1 large ripe, creamy avocado, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon green onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, coarsely chopped
- lemon slices as needed
Preparation time 90mins
Cooking time 95mins
For the brine: Stir the kosher salt, brown sugar into 1-quart cool water until dissolved. Add the shrimp and refrigerate at least 15 minutes or up to one hour.
For the marinade: Mix 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, flat leaf parsley, red pepper flakes, and dry white wine in a small bowl and set aside.
Remove the shrimp from the brine. Wash and dry thoroughly. Toss them with the marinade, coat and marinate for 1-hour, covered in the refrigerator.
For the salsa: In a food processor, combine the tomatillos, remaining teaspoon garlic, and serrano chile; pulse to finely chop. Add the avocado and green onion and pulse til just blended. The finished salsa should have some texture.
Place the salsa in a small bowl and toss with the extra-virgin olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Store, covered and refrigerated up to 2 hours. Toss with cilantro just before serving.
To grill the shrimp: Light a charcoal fire. Drain the shrimp from the marinade. Place the 6 shrimp on a work surface in front of you alternating the shrimp left and right, tucking them into themselves, following their natural shape. Secure the shrimp with 2 skewers so that they grill evenly and turn over easily.
Grill the shrimp over medium-hot coals until they are barely cooked through, about 3 to 4 minutes total, turning halfway through. Grill the lemon slices until softened and well marked by the grill. Place the shrimp and lemon slices on plates and top with the salsa. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You'll also love
- Blueberry- Banana Soy Milk Smoothie 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Flat Belly - Steamed Snapper... 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Creamy Ham and Potato Soup 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Coconut Pecan Chocolate Chunk Bars 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Scones... 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Seafood: Shrimp Pad Thai 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Hunan Hot-and-Spicy Shrimp 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Zesty Lime Shrimp and Avocado Salad 4.8/5 (8 Votes)