Apple Pie Oat Muffins
Combine the nutrition of oatmeal, the comfort of apple pie and the portability of a muffin, and you’ve got the perfect breakfast or snack.
- OPTIONAL ADDITIONS:
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 medium apple, grated (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (or honey)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- No apple pie spice? No problem! You can make your own; just add 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1 teaspoon allspice and 1/2 teaspoon ground clove. If your spice pantry is spare, just use 2 teaspoons of cinnamon.
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from blog.myfitnesspal.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, stir together oats, baking powder, seasonings and salt.
Add applesauce, grated apple, egg white, maple syrup, vanilla extract, milk and cranberries, plus any optional additions. Stir well to incorporate.
Allow the mixture to set and thicken for about 3 to 5 minutes before spooning into your muffin pan.
Fill muffin cups almost completely full with batter. The muffins will not rise.
Bake for 30 minutes and until the center of each oatmeal muffin is set. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. If you don’t allow these to cool before taking them out of the muffin pan, they will fall apart. I used a knife around the sides to make removal easier. After cooling, they will set well. Store in a covered container in the fridge for about a week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per serving: Calories: 100; Total Fat: 1g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Monounsaturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 287mg; Carbohydrate: 20g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 3g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 70mg; Iron: 5%; Vitamin A: 1%; Vitamin C: 4%; Calcium: 4%
You'll also love
- Broccoli & Sausage Pasta Bake 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- PORK CHOPS CORDON BLEU 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Buttery Beer Bread Stuffing with... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Anti-inflammatory Fire Fighter... 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Truffle Pie 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Schnitzel with Red Cabbage & Apples 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Zucchini-Pineapple Quick Bread... 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Dinner Rolls, Bread Machine Style 4.4/5 (8 Votes)