Smashed Red Potatoes with Bay Leaves
New potatoes get parboiled, coarsely "smashed," then crisped in the oven.
- 2 lb baby red-skinned potatoes (about 1 inch in diameter)
- 2 Tbsp (1/4 stick) butter
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 small bay leaves (preferably Turkish)
1. Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until almost tender, about 15 minutes. Drain. Melt butter with olive oil in same pan over medium heat; add potatoes and bay leaves. Saute' until coated slightly crushing each potato with wooden spoon, about 5 minutes. Transfer to shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Roast potatoes until tender and beginning to crisp, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.