Cube Steaks and Gravy with Carrots and Potatoes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 lbs cube steak
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups beef broth
- 5 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" cubes
1. In a plastic bag, mix the flour, salt and pepper, and add the meat, shaking gently until each piece is lightly coated. Heat the butter in the pressure cooker over medium heat ("browning" on an electric PC), add the meat and cook in small batches until browned on all sides, setting each batch aside until finished.
2. Add the onions to the cooker and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes. Deglaze the cooker with the broth, scraping up all those crusty, brown bits from the bottom.
3. Return the meat to the cooker; place the carrots evenly on top of the meat. Place the potatoes in steamer tray or foil packed with the top left open, on top of the carrots. (I used a strainer.)
4. Lock the lid in place. Bring to 15 psi (High pressure on the electric PC), immediately reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting to stabilize and maintain that pressure, and cook for 6 minutes.
5. Remove from the heat and use the natural release method to depressurize. (20 minutes on warm for the electric PC). Carefully open the lid after the pressure drops. Prepare mashed potatoes, place the carrots in a separate dish, and the meat on a platter. To thicken the broth, skim off any excess fat, make a slurry from the flour/salt/pepper mixture and 1/2 cup water. (I just added the flour to the PC), let simmer over medium heat until it reaches the desired consistency. Serve the gravy in a separate bowl to spoon over the meat and potatoes.
Nutrition (per serving): 384 calories, 88 calories from fat, 9.9g total fat, 90.3mg cholesterol, 548mg sodium, 1165.1mg potassium, 36.4g carbohydrates, 3.9g fiber, 4.2g sugar, 36.6g protein, 9.4 points.