Sourdough-Herb Stuffed Chicken
- For the stuffing:
- 1 package thin sliced chicken fillets (thin is best, or you can mallet them thinner). Usually 4-5/pack
- About a dozen small skewers (larger than toothpicks, smaller than full length skewers)
- Dill havarti cheese, sliced (couple slices/each fillet)
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese, sliced
- 1 can chicken broth, low sodium
- Paprika, for sprinkling on top stuffed chicken before cooking
- Slices of thin maple ham, or black forrest (1 thin slice/each chicken fillet)
- 2 T butter
- 1/3 cup non-sweet white wine for deglazing
- 2.5 cups freshly multi-grain sourdough bread crumbs (i do in food processor, sourdough is important flavor-wise for this one, coarse crumbs) This is enough for 5 small chicken fillets.
- 1 T fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend(like Parm Romano)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 5-6 dashes poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp dill, dried
- 1/4 tsp found black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme (fresh thyme use more)
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 T prepared Ranch Dressing
Soak wooden skewers in water
Preheat oven to 375 with rack one level above center if possible.
Rinse chicken fillets, and pound thinner if necessary (they don't have to be completely uniform)
S&P chicken on both sides.
Combine all stuffing ingredients, mixing well.
Add about 1/4 cup the chicken stock to moisten (or just enough to be able to handle it so it will stick together).
*Stuff & cook chicken breast fillets:*
Layout slices of both cheeses and ham, one for each thin, chicken fillet.
Layout each chicken slice on wax paper or clean surface and place one slice of ham centered over each fillet.
Next add slice of sharp cheddar and dill havarti to each fillet.
now add heaping handful of moistened stuffing to each in the center.
wrap up ends of chicken fillet up around stuffing, and fix with toothpicks crosswise so it will hold in stuffing.
In a large shallow skillet on stove, melt 2 T butter & preheat.
Carefully transfer the stuffed chicken breasts onto heated skillet and cook on med-low to brown initially.
Sprinkle with paprika on top of each fillet.
After about 8 minutes, deglaze with about 1/3 cup of white wine and continue to brown on stove. (you should see bottom and some of the sides of the chicken are beginning to turn whiter and cook through.
Now add about 1/2 cup of chicken stock to bottom of pan & transfer to oven to finish cooking. If your skillet is not oven safe, place chicken, added broth & all cooking juices into a foil-lined 9x13 dish for oven to finish cooking.
Continue to cook until chicken fillet is done, even at top, cheese is bubbly and stuffing and ham edges are crisp/slightly toasted. (about 10-18 more mins, depending on oven & chicken thickness)
Remove from oven and let cool several minutes.
Remove wooden skewers and serve!
You'll also love
- Chicken Chile Relleno Casserole 3.7/5 (98 Votes)
- Classic Baguettes 4.4/5 (29 Votes)
- Migas for Breakfast 4.4/5 (29 Votes)
- Tender Slow-Cooker Mushroom Lamb... 4.1/5 (55 Votes)
- Ranch (or Caesar) Chicken & Rice 4.4/5 (23 Votes)
- Monkey Bread Cream Cheese &... 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Curry Chicken Broccoli Casserole 4.2/5 (24 Votes)
- Chicken & Roasted Red Potatoes 4.5/5 (22 Votes)