Shrimp Summer Rolls with Sesame-Soy Dipping Sauce
These shrimp rolls are one of my favorite appetizers. Shrimp, noodles, cabbage, peanuts, chile and mint leaves are rolled in delicate rice paper and dipped in a delicious sesame-soy dipping sauce.
- 2 ounces uncooked rice vermicelli noodles
- 12 medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (8-ounces)
- 4 (8-inch) round rice paper sheets
- 1/2 cup Napa (Chinese) cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 16 fresh mint leaves
- 4 teaspoons unsalted, dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
- 1 small Serrano chile, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 2 1/2 teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fish sauce
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 10mins
Bring a medium saucepan filled with water to a boil. Add rice noodles and shrimp; cook 2 minutes or until shrimp and noodles are done. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain.
Add warm water to a large shallow dish to a depth of 1 inch. Place 1 rice paper sheet in dish; let stand 30 seconds or until soft. Place a dry kitchen towel on a work surface. Place rice paper sheet on towel.
Place 3 shrimp on bottom third of sheet, leaving a 2-inch border. Top with 2 tablespoons cabbage, 4 mint leaves, 1 teaspoon peanuts, one-fourth of the chile, and 1/4 cup cooked rice noodles. Fold bottom of sheet over filling. Fold sides of sheet over filling; roll up, jelly-roll fashion, starting with filled side.
Gently press seam to seal. Place roll, seam side down, on a serving platter (cover to keep from drying). Repeat procedure with remaining wrappers, shrimp, cabbage, mint, peanuts, chile, and noodles.
Combine green onions and remaining ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until sugar dissolves. Serve with summer rolls.
You'll also love
- Skillet Huevos 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Italian Sausage & Zucchini Soup 4.2/5 (24 Votes)
- Sear-Roasted Haddock or Cod with... 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Spicy Cheese-Stuffed Fried Olives 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Pomegranate Cranberry Sauce with... 3.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Gouda, Pancetta, & Onion Fondue... 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Shrimp Boil 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Red Curry Mussels 4.5/5 (8 Votes)