Grape Molasses Cookies (Moustokouloura)
- 2/3 cup grape molasses
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 8 tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 tbsp. cognac
- 1 tsp. salt
- approximately 1 kg. all-purpose flour
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
1. Preheat oven to 340 degrees F. In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the sugar and olive oil. Beat with the whisk attachment until well blended.
2. Add the grape molasses, salt, cinnamon, cloves, cognac, baking powder and nutmeg. Mix until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, dilute the baking soda in the orange juice. Add to the grape molasses mixture and whisk until combined.
4. Switch the whisk to the paddle attachment. Sift the flour and add slowly to the grape molasses mixture with the mixer on low speed. Add enough flour until you have a soft dough that does not stick to your hands.
5. Take a small amount of dough and roll into a thin log. Shape cookies into circles or braids. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 15 minutes, until cookies have slightly risen and are golden brown around the edges. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. Cookies can be stored in an air-tight container for a week. Cookies will soften as time elapses.