Grilled Cabbage Wedges with Spicy Lime Dressing
- Juice of 3 limes (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce (optional - or use vegan recipe)
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Lime wedges, to serve
- 1 head green cabbage
- Grapeseed or canola oil
Heat a gas or charcoal grill. Whiz the limes, olive oil, fish sauce, garlic, cilantro, salt, cayenne and sugar in a small chopper or blender until the sauce is pale orange and the garlic is pulverized. Set aside.
Remove the loosest, toughest outer leaves from the cabbage, and cut into 8 evenly-sized wedges. Do not remove the stalk or inner core. Lightly brush the wedges with grapeseed or canola oil.
Place the wedges on the grill and cover. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the edges of each layer are blackened and the cabbage is beginning to soften. Flip each wedge over, cover the grill, and cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes on the other side. Remove the cabbage when it is beginning to wilt, but is still firm in the middle. (This will also be somewhat a matter of taste; I like it fairly crispy still, but you may prefer it more well-done.) If necessary, turn the heat down or move the wedges to a cooler part of the grill so they don't burn. But don't be afraid of those blackened edges; you want a lot of grill and char marks on the cabbage to give it smoky flavor.
Take the cabbage off the grill and arrange the wedges on a plate. Pour the dressing over top and serve immediate, with wedges of lime to garnish.
You'll also love
- Grilled Cabbage 4.7/5 (22 Votes)
- Honey glazed peach tart with... 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Banana Pineapple Coconut Muffin 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Orange Creamsicle White Chocolate... 4.6/5 (22 Votes)
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup 4.6/5 (22 Votes)
- Sweet Potato & Pecan Pie with... 4.6/5 (22 Votes)
- Fruit Ambrosia 4.6/5 (22 Votes)
- FRIED CABBAGE WITH SAUSAGE 4.3/5 (41 Votes)