Coffee Cake Cinnamon Rolls, Orange Frosting vegan
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups white flour (or use your favorite flour)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 stick vegan butter, melted (8 tablespoons)
- 1 cup soy or almond milk
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon or orange or tangerine juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- plenty of flour for kneading/surface
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups raw walnuts, minced in a food processor/Vitamix
- 2-3 Tbsp crushed walnuts
- 2-3 Tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp maple syrup drizzled
- Orange Cream Frosting
- 8 ounce vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice (fresh)
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 Tbsp vegan butter, softened
- Blend with hand mixer. Chill until ready to serve.
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine dry ingredients from dough. Add in wet liquid and work into a ball. Knead until a dough ball forms. Add a splash more soy milk or a few dashes more flour to even the consistency out if needed. Dough should be soft - not tough - yet thick enough to roll out into a one inch thick piece.
3. On a floured surface, roll out dough to a loose rectangle shape. About 3/4" - 1" thick.
4. Brush or drizzle the melted butter over top dough.
5. Over top the vegan butter layer, sprinkle the cinnamon - generously. Add nutmeg.
6. Evenly distribute walnuts and brown sugar over top that
7. Carefully roll your dough up from one end until a tight spiral inside a long tube is reached.
8. Slice your rolls. About 1 1/2" thick.
9. Tightly place the rounds in a vegan butter greased dish - I used a 9" round baking dish.
10. Add the topping layer over top the rolls.
11. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
Cool a few minutes and serve warm with orange cream frosting over top