Katie Lee's Beef Stroganoff
Delicious savory beef chuck cooked in a Dutch oven until tender, with sweet, deep flavors of cognac, onions, mushrooms, and a creamy sauce. Served with egg noodles.
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 pounds chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup cognac or dry sherry
- 3 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 8 ounce package cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 pound freshly cooked egg noodles, buttered and seasoned
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 150mins
Adapted from rachaelraymag.com
In a large bowl, mix the garlic powder with 1 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pat the beef dry with paper towels and toss to coat in the garlic powder mixture. Add 1/3 cup flour and toss again.
In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium- high. Working in batches, add the beef in a single layer, spacing 1/2 inch apart, and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer to a plate. Reduce the heat to medium and add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until the onion starts to soften, about 2 minutes. Add the cognac and cook, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot, about 1 minute. Return the meat to the pot and add the stock. Bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the beef is almost tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
Transfer 1 cup stock from the pot to a small bowl. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons flour and whisk until smooth. Add the mixture back to the pot.
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the beef mixture. Simmer until the meat is tender, about 30 minutes longer.
Stir in the sour cream; season. Place the egg noodles in a serving dish; top with the beef mixture. Garnish with the chives.
You'll also love
- Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese... 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Caramel Swirl Cheesecake Cupcakes 4.7/5 (19 Votes)
- Salted Caramel Popcorn Balls 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Ground Beef Stuffed Green Bell... 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
- Beef and cheese lasagna 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Smoked Sausage & Spaghetti Skillet 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Throwback Porterhouse Steaks 4.7/5 (15 Votes)
- American Goulash 4/5 (74 Votes)
Review this recipe