New Potatoes in White Sauce
These tender potatoes are served with a creamy white sauce. This is a great side dish and will go with any entree.
- 3 pounds red new potatoes, peeled or scraped, then cut into 1 to 1 1/2" chunks (can leave whole if small)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk or half-and-half
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 stick (5 1/2 tablespoons) margarine or salted butter
- Parsley for garnish, optional
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 20mins
Cover potatoes with water then add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over medium/medium-high heat; cook until just tender. (Do not overcook or they will fall apart in the sauce.)
Drain some of the water off, if needed, so that the potatoes are less than half covered. Stir 1 1/4 cups of the milk into the potatoes and bring back up to a boil.
Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl whisk together the remaining 3/4 cup milk and the flour until completely smooth. Once potatoes are boiling again, pouring in a thin stream while stirring rapidly, add the flour mixture to the potatoes and cook until thickened on medium/medium-low heat, stirring frequently. If sauce is not thick as preferred, it can be adjusted by whisking together a little more milk and flour and stirring it into the potatoes and sauce.
When thickened, season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Add butter and cover the pot until it melts. Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with parsley, if desired. Great accompaniment for pork chops or baked ham and cornbread.
You'll also love
- Baked Potato Soup 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Quick & Easy Chicken, Broccoli &... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Frozen Chocolate Mousse with... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Vanilla Sponge Cake 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Upside Down Sweet Potatoes 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Roasted Corn 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Italian Chicken, New Potatoes and... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Curried Chickpeas with Mustard... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)