White Bean Spread
White bean spread with garlic and herbs is perfect when served with home-made crispy baked pita wedges. Begin this appetizer in your slow-cooker for easy preparation and a hands-off approach to cooking that will give you more time to focus on other important things. FIlled with the fresh flavors of cannellini beans, rich broth, olive oil, fresh garlic, and zesty herbs, this appetizer is sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
- 2 (15-ounces) cans great Northern or cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup canned chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram, snipped or 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, snipped or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Olive oil, optional garnish
- fresh marjoram leaves and rosemary, optional garnish
- HOME BAKED PITA CHIPS:
- 2 pita bread rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, snipped
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 195mins
Adapted from bhg.com
In a 1 1/2-quart crockpot, combine great Northern beans, broth, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, and pepper.
Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
Slightly mash bean mixture using a potato masher. Spoon bean mixture into a serving bowl. Drizzle with additional olive oil and sprinkle with additional fresh marjoram and rosemary, if desired.
Serve warm or at room temperature with Home-Baked Pita Chips, if desired.
HOME BAKED PITA CHIPS:
Split the pita bread rounds horizontally. Cut each circle into 6 wedges. Place a single layer on large baking sheet.
Combine olive oil, oregano and kosher salt; brush pita wedges with oil mixture.
Bake at 350°F 12 to 15 minutes or until crisp and lightly brown.
Remove from baking sheet and cool on a wire rack. Makes 24 chips.
You'll also love
- Spicy Corn and Crab Chowder 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Apple SunButter Baked Oat Bars... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Picadillo Poppers 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Turkey Posole 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Scallop Ceviche 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Chickpea Dip 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Spicy Chicken & Black Bean Stew... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Chicken and White Bean Stuffed... 4.4/5 (19 Votes)