These spicy jalapeño poppers are filled with savory beef, fluffy rice, creamy cheese, briny olives, and plump raisins, for a sweet, savory, and salty delight that all of your guests are going to love at your next soiree. Picadillo Poppers pack the perfect punch of heat for any summertime BBQ, grill-themed party, or potluck with the neighbors.
- 1 (8-ounce) package lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (8.8-ounce) pouch cooked Spanish-style rice
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, about 4 ounces
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives
- 1 tablespoons dry sherry, or lime juice
- 24 fresh plump jalapeño peppers
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- milk, as needed
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds or pecans
- 1 squeeze of lime juice
- pinch of cinnamon
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from bhg.com
In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion over medium-high heat until meat is brown and onion is tender, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat. Stir in cooked rice, the 1 cup cheese, raisins, olives, and sherry. Set aside.
Cut a lengthwise slit in one side of each jalapeño pepper to create a pocket, being careful not to cut the pepper in half. Cut a very small crosswise slit on both ends of the long slit, making an "L" shaped opening. Leave stem intact and use a small spoon to remove seeds and scrape out membranes. Spoon filling into peppers.
Place filled peppers, slit sides up, in a greased grill basket or on a greased vegetable grilling pan.
For a charcoal grill, grill peppers in basket on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium coals for 8 to 12 minutes or until peppers are crisp-tender and filling is heated through.
For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place peppers in basket on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.
If desired, sprinkle grilled peppers with additional cheese.
If you want a sauce to serve with these Mexican bites, thin one 8-ounce carton of sour cream with a little milk and stir in 1/2 cup ground toasted almonds or pecans, a squeeze of lime juice, and a pinch of ground cinnamon.
You'll also love
- Turkey Posole 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Challah Stuffing with Fennel &... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Scallop Ceviche 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Herbed Mushrooms with White Wine... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Grilled Fresh Figs, Brie &... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Copycat Spicy Queso Blanco... 4.1/5 (40 Votes)
- Blueberry Ice Cream Pie 4.5/5 (15 Votes)