Strawberry Rhubarb Crumb Bars
Sweet strawberries mix beautifully with tart rhubarb in these dessert bars. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. Perfect spring time dessert!
- Base and crumble topping:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Fruit mixture:
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 1/2 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons sugar
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from cooking.com
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 x 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, blend the base ingredients together with your fingers until the butter is no longer visible and the mixture is loose and crumbly. Transfer about 3/4 of the mixture to the prepared pan. Use a measuring cup to press the mixture into an even layer on the bottom of the pan.
In another medium bowl, stir the rhubarb, strawberry, lemon juice, cornstarch and sugar together. Pour into the pan. Crumble the remaining base mixture on top of the fruit.
Bake in the oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven. Let cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing into 9 pieces.
Tip: Lining the pan with parchment paper helps with removing the bars after baking.
You'll also love
- Lemon Meringue cake 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Apple & Cinnamon Muffins with a... 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Cream of Corn Cheese Soup 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Blackberry Bourbon Boston Butt 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Blueberry Cinnamon Toast Crunch... 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Macarons à la fraise couvert de... 4.4/5 (31 Votes)
- Rhubarb and Raspberry Crostata 4.6/5 (11 Votes)