Blackberry Bourbon Boston Butt
- 1 LARGE BONE-IN BOSTON BUTT PORK SHOULDER (ABOUT 8 POUNDS)
- 1 CUP BOURBON
- 1 CUP BLACKBERRY JAM
- 1/3 POUND OF LOCAL HONEY
- 2 TABLESPOONS FRESHLY
- GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 1 CUP CREOLE SEASONING
- 1 CUP DARK BROWN SUGAR (I will probably replace with Maple Syrup or leave out)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 480mins
1. Trim the pork shoulder removing excess fat from the outside.
2. In a small mixing bowl or a food processor, blend the bourbon, blackberry jam, honey and black pepper together.
3. Inject the mixture into the pork shoulder on all sides, getting it around the bone and throughout the meat. Combine the brown sugar and Creole seasoning in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
4. Rub the outside of the pork shoulder with the mix, making sure to coat all sides liberally with the rub.
5. Smoke the pork shoulder over Louisiana pecan wood for up to 12 hours at around 225°F. You could also roast in the oven for around 6 to 8 hours, depending on size, at 275°F.
6. Allow the pork to cool until it is comfortable enough to handle. Using a couple of forks or your hands, shred the pork apart.
7. Serve it as a main meat dish, or on buns as pulled pork sandwiches.