Strawberry shortcake, need I say more? This classic recipe is perfect for a summer dessert!
- For the berries:
- 2 pints strawberries
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- For the biscuits:
- 2 cups flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 cup. plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- For the whipped cream:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Toss the strawberries with lemon juice and sugar to combine. Let macerate at room temperature for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Whisk to combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bow. Cut the butter into the flour mixture, using pastry blender or two knives. Continue until mixture resembles coarse corn meal.
3. Add 1 cup cream and stir with a fork just until dough starts to come together but is still crumbly.
4. Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and pat into a rough 6 inch square about 1 inch thick. Use a 2 ½ inch round cutter dipped in flour to cut four biscuits from dough. Gather remaining dough scraps together and cut two more biscuits. Place the 6 biscuits on a parchment lined pan. Whisk egg and remaining 1 tablespoon cram, then brush egg wash over tops of dough rounds.
5. Bake until tops are golden brown, rotating sheet about halfway through, about 25 minutes. Transfer biscuits onto wire rack to cool slightly.
6. When ready to serve, whip cream in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Split biscuits in half and place bottom half in each plate. Top with berries and their juice, then with remaining biscuit tops and dollops of whipped cream. Garnish plate with more berries.
You'll also love
- Shrimp with Garlic and Parsley 4.5/5 (110 Votes)
- Banana Roll with Cheesecake Filling 4/5 (147 Votes)
- Zesty Lime Shrimp & Avocado Salad 4.5/5 (104 Votes)
- Incredible Raspberry Cheesecake... 4.5/5 (101 Votes)
- Strawberry Spinach Salad with... 4.5/5 (90 Votes)
- Strawberry Shortcake 4.6/5 (46 Votes)
- Strawberry Shortcake Snake 5/5 (3 Votes)