Banana Roll with Cheesecake Filling
The flavor reminds me of banana cream pie. The cheesecake filling is smooth and creamy and is the perfect compliment to the lightly flavored banana cake.
- CHEESECAKE FILLING:
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- BANANA CAKE:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup + 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup mashed banana (around 1 large banana)
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (for sprinkling over cake)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from eatcakefordinner.blogspot.de
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Grease a 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan with butter. Line with parchment paper and grease with butter again, making sure to coat the entire surface and sides of the pan; set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar and beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the egg, milk and vanilla and beat until combined. Spread in the prepared pan; set aside.
In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda; set aside. In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks and vanilla on medium speed until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add 1/3 cup of sugar and beat well. Stir in the mashed banana.
In a large, clean bowl with clean beaters, beat the egg whites on medium until soft peaks fork (tips curl). Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold yolk mixture into beaten egg whites. Gradually sprinkle the flour mixture evenly over egg mixture and fold together just until blended.
Carefully spread the batter evenly over the filling in the pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched.
Immediately loosen cake from sides of pan, sprinkle cake with 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Place a wire cooling rack, upside down, on the top of the cake. Carefully pick up both sides of the pan, while holding the rack and flip over. The cake will now be on top of the towel on the cooling rack.
Carefully peel off parchment paper. Starting with the short side, roll up cake as tightly as possible (don't roll up the towel with it). Allow to cool completely on wire rack. Slice and serve. Wrap any leftover cake in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
Jenn's Notes: I did not forget to type salt above, the recipe really did not call for any salt. This cake is not hard to make. Follow the instructions and I know it will work for you too. I baked my cake for the full 20 minutes and it was perfect.
You'll also love
- Taco Time's Secret Beef Seasoning 3.8/5 (227 Votes)
- Double Wicked Fudge Cake 4.3/5 (129 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Cube Steak & Gravy 4/5 (147 Votes)
- Clean Banana Bread 4.4/5 (112 Votes)
- Zesty Lime Shrimp & Avocado Salad 4.5/5 (106 Votes)
- Pineapple Dream Cake 4.5/5 (117 Votes)
- Texas Pecan Pie Pound Cake 3.8/5 (335 Votes)
- Caramel Banana Cake Roll 4.3/5 (117 Votes)