Spicy Chicken Thighs with Rhubarb Cucumber Salsa
The spicy glaze on the chicken thighs is nicely balances with the fresh and tart rhubarb cucumber salsa.
- 1 habanero, Scotch bonnet, or Thai chile, with seeds, stemmed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts divided
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 large skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, cubed in 1/4" pieces
- 1 cup unpeeled seeded English hothouse cucumber, cubed in 1/4" pieces
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Preheat oven to 500°. Line a baking sheet with foil. Pulse chile, garlic, and white parts of scallions in a food processor until finely chopped. With machine running, drizzle in soy sauce, then olive oil; process until emulsion forms. Transfer sauce to a bowl.
Place chicken thighs, skin side up, on a work surface and slash each crosswise at 3/4-inch intervals down to the bone. Season lightly with salt. Place on prepared baking sheet and brush with sauce. Bake until skin is crisp and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°, 20–25 minutes. Broil on high for an additonal 2–3 minutes for crisper skin, if desired. Let rest for 5–10 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss rhubarb, next 5 ingredients, and green parts of scallions in a medium bowl to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper and let stand for at least 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
Serve chicken with rhubarb salsa alongside.
You'll also love
- Orange Teriyaki Beef Stew 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Rosemary and Ravioli Chicken Soup 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Bacon Double Cheeseburger Dip 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Apple, Pear and Cranberry Tart 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Farmer's Fridge Mediterranean... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Fries 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Bacon-Ranch Chicken Wings 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup 4.5/5 (11 Votes)