Plum Glazed Chicken
A very tasty chicken dish that is both family friendly and entertainment worthy. It can be made ahead of time and reheated as well. I have also done it in the crock pot by browning a cut up whole chicken or bone-in chicken breasts. I like the skin on sometimes as it adds a new dimension of flavor to the dish. Canned plums are sometimes hard to find in my area except in November and December, so I stock up for the summer.
- 1 can Oregon Purple Plums (or other variety if you have them)
- 2 T margarine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 C brown sugar
- 1/4 C prepared tomato-based chili sauce
- 2 T soy sauce
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken (I have also used a whole chicken cut up)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from oregonfruit.com
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.Drain the plums and reserve the syrup. Remove the pits from the plums.
3.In a blender or food processor, whirl the plums and syrup until pureed if a thinner consistency desired; I prefer to puree half the plums with the syrup and coarsely chop the rest of the plums and add to the puree. I like it chunky.
4.Melt margarine in a wide skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft.
5.Stir in the plum puree, brown sugar, chili sauce, soy sauce, ginger and lemon juice.
6.Cook, uncovered, stirring often until slightly thickened. About 15 minutes. (I have also not cooked it at all and just dumped the mixture over the chicken and baked all together. The sauce is thinner but still tastes great!)
7.Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Arrange the chicken in a lightly greased baking pan.
8.Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, basting with plum sauce every 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and bake, basting occasionally, for 30 more minutes. (I have also just browned the chicken and thrown it in a crock pot and added the sauce, cooking it on low for 4-6 hours).
9.Heat the remaining sauce and pass it at the table.
You'll also love
- Cream of Chicken and Wild Rice Soup 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Ricotta Mini Waffles 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Sticky Glaze Chicken Thighs with... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Take-In Chicken Egg Rolls 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Vietnamese Clay Pot Chicken 4.3/5 (32 Votes)
- Plum Butter Chops 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Plumped Ginger-Caramel Shrimp 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Dutch Oven Chicken and Rice 4.3/5 (24 Votes)