Pork Chops in a Sweet Chili and Onion Sauce
- 2-1/2 pounds russet potatoes (3 medium-large potatoes), peeled and cubed
- Coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EV00)
- 4 1-1/2-inch-thick boneless center-cut pork chops Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Place the potatoes in a sauce pot and cover with water. Place over high heat and bring up to a boil, add some salt, and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until just tender. Drain the potatoes and spread out onto a rimmed cookie sheet to cool quickly, about 10 minutes.
While the potatoes are working, preheat a large liberally with salt and pepper. Place the chops in the skillet arid sear for about 2 minutes on each side to caramelize. Transfer the chops to a rimmed cookie sheet and place in the oven to finish off, 7 or 8 minutes, until the meat is firm to the touch, but not tough. Remove from the oven and let the chops rest, covered with a piece of aluminum foil, for a few minutes.
While the chops bake, return the skillet to the heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO, three quarters of the chopped onions, the chili powder, cumin, two thirds of the chopped garlic, the brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook the mixture, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and simmer until reduced by half. Once reduced, turn off the heat and whisk in the cold butter.
While the sweet chili-onion sauce is cooking, in a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, cilantro, the remaining chopped onions, the remaining chopped garlic, the red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add to the dressing the chopped celery and red bell peppers. When you are ready to serve, add the cooled potatoes. Stir the potatoes to combine, and check the seasoning.
Pour the sweet chili-onion sauce over the rested pork chops; serve the creamy cilantro potato salad alongside.