Ham and Cheese-Stuffed Pork Chops with Lot-o'-Mushrooms Sauce
- 4 1-inch-thick pork rib chops on the bone
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 4 1-inch-thick slices Gruyere cheese
- 8 thin slices Black Forest ham
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EV00) (twice around the pan)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Cut a large pocket horizontally to the bone of each chop, and open the pocket like a book. Season the inside with salt and pepper. Place 2 sage leaves on top of each slice of Gruyêre. Wrap 2 slices of ham around each sage-cheese slice, creating a meat and cheese bundle. Tuck one bundle in each pork chop pocket and secure closed with a toothpick or two. Preheat a large skillet with the EVOO over medium-high heat. Season the outside of the chops with salt and pepper and add to the hot skillet. Cook on each side for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove the stuffed chops from the skillet to a platter, tent with foil, and allow the chops to rest for a few minutes.
While the chops are resting, add the butter, mushrooms, garlic, and thyme to the skillet. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, then season with salt and pepper. Dust the mushrooms with the flour and continue to cook for 1 minute more. Whisk in the wine, stock, and mustard, and then simmer until thick, about 3 minutes.
Serve the stuffed chops with the mushroom sauce.