Spinach Tomato Orzo Soup
Here’s a quick and easy dinner idea for those busy weeknights. This spinach and orzo soup can be made vegetarian by using vegetable instead of chicken stock and is so easy. Your just 6 ingredients away from “real fast food” that’s actually nutritious and filling. If you want to add meat to this dish, chopped boneless skinless chicken breast, or Italian chicken sausage would be a great addition. I used chopped Italian tomatoes in this soup that have added oregano, basil and garlic as a time saver. If you only have chopped canned tomatoes on hand, just add one teaspoon each dried oregano and basil, and an additional clove of garlic.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound spinach, fresh or frozen, defrosted
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced Italian tomatoes with oregano and basil
- 1 pound package orzo pasta
- 2 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 quarts water
- Olive oil
Preheat a large dutch oven. Drizzle with olive oil. Add onions and saute until tender. Add garlic and saute for 2 – 3 minutes. Add canned tomatoes, spinach, chicken or vegetable stock and water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium.
Add orzo cook for 12 – 15 minutes, or until orzo is tender.
You'll also love
- Gumbo Fried Rice 4.3/5 (83 Votes)
- Roasted Fingerling Potatoes with... 4.3/5 (94 Votes)
- Crispy-Onion Turkey Casserole 4.5/5 (69 Votes)
- Cajun Jambalaya Pasta 4.3/5 (84 Votes)
- K's Slow Cooker Chicken & Spinach... 4.3/5 (82 Votes)
- Creamy Orzo with Asparagus &... 4.4/5 (72 Votes)
- Spinach Queso Dip 4.4/5 (81 Votes)
- Tomato Pie 4.5/5 (59 Votes)