Raspberry White Cake with Meringue Frosting
Fresh raspberries make this wonderful cake even better! Layered with raspberry jam, and frosted with a homemade meringue frosting, this cake is light and delicious.
- MERINGUE FROSTING:
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 cups sifted cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, divided equally
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries, about 8-ounces
- 2/3 cup raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup large-flake dried unsweetened coconut (I used bakers unsweetened and toasted it)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 5 egg whites, room temperature.
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Coat three 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray, line bottoms with parchment, and coat again.
Whisk together flour, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar.
In a separate bowl, beat together cream, milk, baking powder, and egg whites until mixture thickens. Whisk in vanilla, almond extract, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
Fold in flour mixture. Fold in raspberries, then divide among pans. Bake until golden and top springs back when touched, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pans 30 minutes. Remove; let cool completely on a wire rack.
While the cake is baking, make the meringue frosting.
Spread half the jam over top of 1 cake layer, and sandwich with another layer. Repeat with remaining jam and layer. Swirl frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle top with coconut.
Bring 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, corn syrup, and 3 tablespoons water to a boil, stirring. Wash down side of pan with a wet pastry brush, and cook sugar syrup, without stirring, until a candy thermometer registers 230°F.
Meanwhile, beat egg whites with a mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
Add sugar syrup in a slow, steady stream down side of bowl. Beat on high speed until thick, fluffy, and cool, about 7 minutes.
You'll also love
- Cranberry Orange Bread 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- Apple Pie Enchiladas 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Strawberry Bread 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Easy Caramel Apple Bars 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Raspberry Oatmeal Bars 4.3/5 (26 Votes)
- Peach-Mango Sunrise Poke Cake 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Hot Chocolate Bundt Cake 4.4/5 (18 Votes)