Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice
Adapted recipe by seasonwithspice
- 3 cups of cooked, cold jasmine rice (that was prepared the day before and chilled overnight)
- 3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 12 medium-sized shrimp - shelled and deveined
- 2 shallots - thinly sliced
- Half a carrot - cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium red bell pepper - diced
- 1 small pineapple or 1/2 large pineapple – hollowed out; fruit cored and cubed (save the juice)
- 1 tbsp raisins (or more if you like)
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp toasted fermented shrimp paste (belacan), optional
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- Chopped green onion, sliced red chili and/or cilantro leaves for garnish
In a wok, heat 1 tbsp oil on medium fire. Then add 1 clove of chopped garlic and sauté until aromatic. Finally, add in shrimp until just cooked (adjust heat during the process if necessary). Remove from wok and set aside.
In the same wok, heat up 2 1/2 tbsp oil on medium-high fire and sauté the shallots and the rest of the garlic until fragrant. Add carrots to the wok and cook for a minute or two until softened. Then, add red bell pepper and cook for another minute (adjust heat during the process if necessary).
Add the cold, cooked rice into the heated wok, along with the pineapple chunks, juice and raisins. Cook on medium-high fire, as you scoop, stir, flip, and press the rice to break up any clumps and to cook it evenly (see tip above).
Add curry powder, soy sauce, salt and white pepper (and belacan, if using), and stir-fry thoroughly on medium-high heat until the ingredients are well combined. Taste and adjust seasonings.
Throw in roasted cashews and the cooked shrimp. Crank the heat to high, and stir constantly to mix all the ingredients. Cook for just one minute.
Serve fried rice in pineapple shells. Garnish with spring onion, cilantro and/or sliced red chilies.
You'll also love
- Baja Beef 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Rosemary Pasta in Butter Roasted... 4.4/5 (22 Votes)
- Deconstructed Lemon Pie 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Strawberry Milkshake Cookies 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- Kung Pao Shrimp 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Shrimp Scampi Pizza 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Peach Mango Pineapple White Sangria 4.3/5 (19 Votes)
- Pineapple Cheese Ball 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
Review this recipe