Rosemary Olive Oil Bread
I was very happy with the result- a loaf so flavorful that it needs no accompaniment. The rosemary is prominent but not overwhelming. And while this bread is best enjoyed warm out of the oven, it can be frozen and reheated later.
- 1 cup warm water (100-110 F)
- 1 tablespoon organic cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1/4 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or pinch of each ground garlic, dried oregano, and dried basil)
- 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup bread flour + extra for kneading
- 1 egg, whisked + 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
- Dried rosemary, for sprinkling
Adapted from ahintofhoney.com
In a large bowl, combine the warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit 10 minutes to proof.
Stir in the salt, rosemary, seasonings, olive oil, and whole wheat flour. Add the bread flour and stir until the dough forms a ball. Knead on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes, adding more flour as necessary to prevent sticking, until smooth.
Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl; cover; and let rise until doubled in size, about1 hour.
Punch down the dough and form it into a round loaf. Place it on a cornmeal dusted pizza peel or parchment paper; cover; and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat oven (and pizza stone) to 400 F. Once the dough has risen, gently brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle with dried rosemary.
Bake on preheated stone for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
You'll also love
- Artichoke-pepperoni pasta salad 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Strawberry Layer Cake 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Tomato-Basil Pasta Primavera 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Vegan Agave Cornbread Muffins 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Crockpot Leeky Potato Soup 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Turkey Sloppy Joe Sliders 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Carrot Cake Muffins 4.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Baked Zuchinni Chips 4.6/5 (16 Votes)