This Cheese Straw recipe is the perfect appetizer for any occasion because they can be made and froze up to 3 months ahead of time. Make a couple of batches of these cheese straws and just keep them on hand in the freezer for whenever you need a snack in a pinch. These are a tried-and-true favorite for anyone and everyone who is a fan of cheddar cheese and a hint of red peppery spice.
- 1 1/2 cups (6-ounces) extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces and softened
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Combine cheddar cheese, flour, butter, kosher salt, and crushed red pepper in a food processor; pulse in 5 second intervals until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add half-and-half, and process 10 seconds or until dough forms a ball.
Turn dough out onto a well floured surface, and roll into an 8x10-inch rectangle about 1/8-inch thick. Cut dough with a sharp knife into 1/4 to 1/2-inch wide strips, dipping knife in flour after each cut to ensure clean cuts. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until ends are slightly browned. Cool on baking sheets on a wire rack 30 minutes. Break into desired lengths.
To make cheese rounds, roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness and cut with a 1 1/2-inch round cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake and cool as directed. Freeze baked cheese straws or rounds in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic freezer bag up to 3 months. Let thaw at room temperature 30 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Cream Cheese Crescent Rolls 3.8/5 (566 Votes)
- Oreo Dirt Cake 4/5 (233 Votes)
- Spinach, Arugula, Almond &... 4.2/5 (9 Votes)
- Rosemary-Scented Dinner Rolls 4.2/5 (9 Votes)
- Chickpea Dip with Italian Parsley... 4.2/5 (9 Votes)
- Lemon-Glazed Sweet Potatoes 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Crock Pot Brown Sugar Pineapple Ham 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Pumpkin Maple Pecan Granola with... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)