Scandinavian-Style Red Cabbage With Apple
- 1 1/4 pounds red cabbage
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 apple
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons currant jelly
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 4 whole allspice
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Discard the tough, outer leaves of the cabbage. Quarter the cabbage if whole, remove the core and cut the quarters crosswise into 1/4-inch shreds. Quarter the onion and thinly slice crosswise. Quarter the apple, remove the core and cut each quarter lengthwise into thin slices, then crosswise into thin slices.
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the cabbage, apple, cranberries, wine, jelly, brown sugar, allspice, cloves and salt. Stir to mix. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until the cabbage is softened, 1 hour.
Uncover and stir in the vinegar. Transfer to a storage container, cover and refrigerate overnight. Reheat before serving.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
Each of 6 servings: 96 calories; 500 mg sodium; 0 cholesterol; 3 grams fat; 0 grams saturated fat; 17 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram protein; 3.56 grams fiber.
You'll also love
- Grilled Swordfish With Lemon, Mint... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Morel Mushroom Ravioli 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Dove Ravioli With Tomato-Basil... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Roasted Butternut Squash-Sweet... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Grilled Teriyaki Mahi Mahi With... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Applebee's Chardonnay Mushrooms 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Horseradish Gravy (for corned beef... 3.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Sautéed Cabbage with Fennel and... 4.1/5 (15 Votes)