Baked Rigatoni with Spinach, Provolone and Turkey
- 2 yellow onions
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 medium kabocha or butternut squash, peeled and cubed, about 4-5 cups
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- salt + pepper + dried oregano
- 1/2 cup cream or half and half
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
- 1 cup grated Provolone cheese
- 1 lb. whole wheat rigatoni
Adapted from pinchofyum.com
1.Mince the onions and garlic. Combine in a small bowl and set aside.
2.Bring the vegetable broth to a boil; add half of the onion/garlic mixture and the prepared squash. Cook for 10 minutes or until squash/onion/garlic are fork-tender. Transfer the cooked squash combo with ½ cup of the vegetable broth from the pot to a blender and puree until smooth, adding salt, pepper, and dried oregano to taste. Stir in cream and set aside.
3.Brown the turkey over medium high heat with the remaining onion/garlic mixture. Season generously with salt, pepper, and oregano. Drain out any excess liquid so that the meat will get a browned, almost crispy look.
4.Cook the rigatoni in a large pot. Undercook the pasta slightly to avoid mushy noodles - I boiled mine for about 6 minutes. Drain the water; add the sauce, sausage, and spinach to the pot with the noodles. Stir until combined. Transfer to a large baking dish (any shape), stopping half way to add a layer of cheese (about ½ cup of cheese). Pour remaining pasta mixture in and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheese on top. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until the top is beginning to brown and everything is heated through.
You'll also love
- No Bake Apple Pie Bites 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Pan-Roasted Fish with... 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Creamy Meatballs and Potatoes 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Spinach Tortellini Tomato Soup 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Pasta with Roasted Garlic and... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Ancho-Rubbed Beef Back Ribs With... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Bacon Egg Salad 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Chicken Thighs with Shallots and... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)